The final countdown has commenced, and this will be my last full week in Europe until 2013. As wonderful as it is here, I truly am so looking forward to being home for Christmas. I miss my family and my friends tremendously. In a way, I'm envious of my English friends, as home's just a hop, skip, and a jump away, but looking on the bright side, being so far away from those I love only strengthens my appreciation for them and for home. I'm starting to make plans to meet with friends back down at the Shore, and I'm getting really excited to see everyone again - the last time I'll be able to see them until July when I return home. Today a few of us are meeting for coffee to bid a temporary farewell to one of our friends who's leaving soon for the holiday. Just over a week to go, and I'll be there myself!
This was a sleepy weekend, not doing too much. We had our supplementary orientation Friday, which wasn't as bad as it could have been, thankfully, but it was a long day. Later that evening we all gathered at Augustinerbräu, home to Austria's largest Biergarten, for a few beers with some visiting friends and one of my English friend's family. Its a big, rowdy place, but it's one of my favorite places in the city to visit. You get to pick your own mug, wash it, and have it filled with your choice of seasonal beer, and most nights, particularly on weekends, Lederhosen are abundant. It's just a fun place to go with friends, and that's exactly what Friday night was - a great time with friends.
Saturday was very cold, but one of my friend's boyfriend was in town for the weekend, so a group of us met up and revisited the Strudel café. What I had ordered the first time was so amazing, that I just had to get it again. We crammed around a little table, but we had a nice time. We explored the markets afterwards, and I picked up a much needed pair of warmer gloves. That evening, we planned on going to an ice hockey game - the Salzburg Oilers vs. Weiz Bulls. We got there a bit early to "beat the crowds." When the beer cost more than the entrance fare, we should have known we were in for a surprise. The verdict is still out on whether there were more people on the ice than in the stands, but we did get to select any seat we wanted! There were two groups who were running a little late, so I had some fun, texting them that it was jam-packed, and that we were trying to hold their seats for as long as possible. When they arrived and saw virtually empty stands, they were not amused. But I sure was! The game was actually a lot of fun, though, and it turned out to be a great night. Sunday was just cold. I very nearly froze to death in Church, despite wearing 4 layers of clothing. I made some headway on some writing, and prepared my 12 introductory lessons for the week.... They're predicting snow nearly every day this week, and the temperature isn't supposed to rise above 32°. My Colombian flatmate has just left for Bogota for the holidays, so the music's stopped for now. The combination of excitement for Christmas and finding the motivation to make it through one more weekend is a tricky one, so I need to keep myself busy so that the time flies by. But first, it's off to coffee...
| Eternally beautiful Salzburg |
Here's something else to look forward to--one of your friends coming to Salzburg for the weekend!
ReplyDeleteI always love reading your blog, Tim.