Salzburg has, in my opinion, the greatest combination of city and nature. It is home to world class concert venues, attracting artists of the highest caliber all year round. It contains over a dozen museums, over 20 beautiful churches, a plethora of quality restaurants and unique cafés, two major universities, a mountain top fortress, professional sports clubs, and beautiful, preserved architecture spanning 1,300 years. My favorite aspect of the city is that within 15 minutes from city center, I can be in the Alps. How crazy is that? There's not a single American city I can think of where that's possible. It's city surrounded by smaller cities, surrounded by smaller yet cities, surrounded by suburbs, upon suburbs, upon suburbs, until one can find nature on the scale that one does here. Three alpine mountains are within the city limits, and, in fact, the old city is confined by two of these. It is the only large city in central Europe to have cow fields within the city limits. I love that I see the same people all over the city - it makes me feel as if I know them, like I've been here long enough to distinguish myself from the tourist. Frequenting the same places, and having the people who work there recognize me makes me feel more like a local. For example, one of my favorite cafés, Café Würfel Zucker, reopened after moving from their former location. They were ridiculously busy on opening day, but I went back the next day, and the owner stopped to chat - he remember that I and my friends visited their old location often, and he was really glad that I had returned. I know nothing about him, and he knows nothing about me, but simply because we've seen each other a few times, we can strike up a conversation and learn, and that's a really great feeling. Salzburg's an unbelievably beautiful place, and it still doesn't fail to take my breath away on a daily basis. There are some days where I wake up, walk down to the river, plop down on the side, and, while taking in the sheer brilliance of the view before me, think to myself "there's no other place I want to be." It's often said that a picture is worth a thousand words, but I don't think a thousand words could do this place justice. Beautiful. It just is.
![]() |
| Small but fine, indeed. |
I'll be able to see my parents on Tuesday, and my best friend and another friend from university are coming the following week, and I'm really looking forward to seeing all of them again. Getting caught up work, research, school work, and my friends here, I can sometimes forget that this isn't going to last forever, and that in coming here, I left my whole life behind me, including the people I miss the most. Sometimes, in order to grow, though, you need to do that yourself, and that's probably the most important thing I've gained from this experience abroad. 7 weeks, and counting!
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment